To save time and ensure that your projects adhere to the unique needs of your clients, create rules and data instances using reusable elements of your application. By combining a rule type, name, class, and ruleset, you provide a unique identity for each rule that you create.
- In the header of Dev Studio, click Create, and then select the record category and type that
you want to create.
For example: To create a data transform, click .
- In the record configuration area of the Create form, provide a
name for your record and define its key parts:
- In the Label field, enter a short description in the form of
a sentence that describes the purpose of the record.As a best practice, use up to 30 characters. Pega Platform appends rule information to the rule name you enter to create the fully-qualified name.
- Optional: To manually set the name key part of your record to a value that is different from
the default, in the Identifier field, click
Edit, and then update the name.The default value of this field is To be determined. The system automatically populates this field with a read-only value based on the sentence that you enter in the Label field. The system ignores spaces and special characters.If you manually change the Identifier value, the system no longer autopopulates this field after you provide a new value in the Label field.
- In the remaining fields, specify additional key parts for your record. The number of key parts, types, and restrictions varies by record type. As a best practice, start each key part with a letter and use only letters, numbers, and hyphens.
- Optional: To include all other configuration options supported by this record type, click
View additional configuration options.These options vary by record type and only appear for records that support Quick Create options. By using the Quick Create option for certain rule types, you can create rules directly in the Create dialog without having to open the rule form. Rule types with this option include properties, field values, when conditions, flows, and activities.
- In the Label field, enter a short description in the form of a sentence that describes the purpose of the record.
- In the Context section, if the Development
branch list appears, select a branch in which to store your record:
The form displays the Development branch list when you define branches in the current application, or in one of the built-on application layers.
- To create the record in a branched version of the ruleset, select a branch
If the branched ruleset that you provide does not yet exist, the system automatically creates the ruleset when you create the rule.
- To create the record in an unlocked ruleset version, select [No branch].
- To create the record in a branched version of the ruleset, select a branch name.
- Select an application layer in which you want to store the record.You can only store records in application layers with access to the selected development branch.
Note: The Production Rulesets option appears as the first option in the stack if your current access group has production rulesets defined. Choosing this option restricts the Add to ruleset field only.
- In the Apply to field, select the class to which this record
By default, the system populates this list with the cases and data types that are accessible by your chosen application layer. Choose the class that is the lowest in the class hierarchy and serves the needs of your application.
For example: Choose MyCo-LoanDiv-MortgageApplication rather than MyCo-LoanDiv-as the Apply to class for a new flow or property, unless you are certain that the record is applicable to all the objects in every class derived from MyCo-LoanDiv-. Tip: To select a class name that is not a case or a data type, click the View all link.
- In the Add to ruleset field, select the name of a ruleset to
contain the record.If the development branch is set to [No Branch] or you have no available branches to choose from, specify a version for the specified ruleset name.
- Optional: To override the default work item that your application
associates with this development change, press the Down arrow key in the Work
item to associate field, and then select a work item.For more information about your default work item, see Setting your current work item.
- Click Create and open.