When rule development in a branch is complete, make the changes available by merging branches into a target ruleset of the development application. As a result, your team provides required solutions in a timely and efficient way, without the risk of overriding or losing work.
As a best practice, the system administrator creates a new ruleset version for the base ruleset, independent of the wizard. Individual teams develop rules in their specific branches, and then merge those branches into the existing base ruleset version that the administrator provides. As a result, administrators have better control over versions.
For relevant training materials, see the Merging a development branch challenge on Pega Academy
- Optional: To save time and resolve any potential issues before merging rulesets, check whether
any conflicts might occur.For more information, see Viewing branch information.
- Optional: To ensure that branches include only changes that you want to merge, lock a branch
after development is complete.For more information, see Locking a branch.
- In the navigation pane of Dev Studio, click App.
- In the App Explorer, click the Branches tab.
- Select branches that you want to merge:
Choices Actions Merge a single branch
- Right-click the branch, and then click Merge.
- In the Merge branch dialog box, click Proceed.
Merge multiple branches
- Right-click your application name, and then click Merge multiple branches.
- In the Select Branches to Merge dialog box, select the branches that you want to use.
- Click OK.
- If conflicts or warnings occur, on the Merge Branches tab,
review information about any issues.You must resolve conflicts before you can merge branches. For more information, see Conflicts and warnings in the Merge Branches wizard.
- In the Target ruleset section, in the list of versions, select the
base ruleset version into which you want to merge rulesets:
- To create a new ruleset version in the base ruleset during the merge, select Create new version.
- To reuse an existing ruleset, select the ruleset version.
- Click Merge.
Result: When a merge is complete, you can view the details about the outcome, the number of merged rules, and the source and target rulesets.
- Conflicts and warnings in the Merge Branches wizard
The Conflicts and Warnings window displays an expandable list of rules that the Merge Branches wizard has identified as having conflicts, warnings, or both. To open this window, click the displayed number of conflicts and warnings on the main wizard screen.
- Branch merge process customization
You can enhance the merge process for your development team in various ways to comply with your organization's policies and procedures. By using extension points, you customize the standard branch merge process. For example, you can add postprocessing behavior that sends an email notification to the project lead with the status of the merge process.