If your When rule returns unexpected results, and you cannot determine the
problem by running the rule and examining the clipboard pages, run the Tracer tool. Using
Tracer, you can watch each step in the evaluation of a When rule, and as a result, you can
find and then fix issues in your application faster.
For example, you can use
Tracer if a When rule returns false but you expect the rule to return true.
- In the footer of Dev Studio, click Tracer.
- In the header of the Tracer window, click
- In the Events to trace section, select When
- To trace events when the rule starts running, select the checkbox in the
- To trace events when the rule ends running, select the checkbox in the
You can select both Start and End
- In the Rulesets to trace section, select the ruleset that contains
the rule that you want to trace.
- Optional: To avoid memory use from tracing events that occur in other rulesets, clear the
checkboxes for other rulesets.
- Click OK.
- Return to Dev Studio, and then run the When rule.
- In the Tracer window, watch the Tracer output as the rule
- Optional: To obtain more information, click a row in the Tracer output.
- Analyze values and information present while the When rule runs, and then adjust
relevant elements of your application.