Requesting approval by email and push notification
Provide greater flexibility and convenience for users of your application when they process a case, by enabling approval by email and push notification. Users can then accept, reject, or take other actions on a case without having to log in to the application.
The following process describes an example of a case approval by email:
- Case workers that process a case in an end user portal move the case through the different steps in the life cycle.
- The case reaches an approval step in the life cycle that is configured to send an email with an approval request.
- Your application sends the email to the reporting manager of the case worker that last updated the case. The email includes an embedded prompt to accept or reject the case step.
- The manager clicks a button in the email message, which generates an email response that includes their decision and sends the email back to the application.
- Your application receives the response, and either moves the case forward when the manager
decides to approve the case, or moves the case to an alternate stage in the life cycle when
the manager decides to reject the case.
You can also configure case behavior after an approval or a rejection to meet your specific business needs. For more information, see Requesting approval from users.
- Add an approval step to your case life cycle. For more information, see Requesting approval from a user.
- To send approval requests by email, create an email integration by enabling case creation by email. For more information, see Enabling creation by email of top-level cases. You can also manually create an email listener and Service Email rule. For more information, see Creating an email integration and Creating a Service Email rule.
- To send approval requests by push notification, install your mobile app on a device, and then enable push notifications in the app. For more information, see Developing mobile apps, Engaging mobile users with push notifications, Generating native mobile apps and Configuring a mobile notification channel.
- In the navigation pane of App Studio, click Case types, and then click the case type that you want to open.
- On the Workflow tab, click Life cycle.
- Click the Approve/Reject step for which you want to add email or push notification approval requests.
- In the Step properties pane, in the Enable approval
from section, select how you want to send the approval message:
You can select both email and push notification forms.
- To request approval by email, select the Email check box.
- To request approval by push notification, select the Mobile check box.
- In the Email subject / Push notification message field, enter
text that you want to use as an email subject or a push notification message.You can reference property names in the subject to make it more dynamic and meaningful.
For example: Enter Case .pyCaseID is waiting for your approval. Result: At run time, the application autopopulates the properties with relevant data. For example, at run time the email subject is Case LoanRequest-123 is waiting for your approval.
- If you request approval by email, define your message content:
Choices Actions Compose a message
- In the Email content list, select Custom, and then click Compose email content.
- In the Compose message window, create your message by using the rich text editor.
- Optional: To add the email message to a template library to reuse in the future, click , in the Template name field provide the template name, and then click Save.
- Click Done.
Reuse a template
- In the Email content list, select Use existing.
- In the list of email templates, select a template that you want to use.You can select templates from your template library as well as from the default templates.
- Optional: To modify the message to meet your unique business needs, click Compose email content, modify the message by using a rich text editor, and then click Done.
- Optional: To add attachments to the email, select the Include attachments
check box, and then select the files that you want to upload:
Actions Choices Include all case attachments Select All case attachments. Include only specific case attachments
- Select Choose attachments.
- Click Add attachment.
- In the drop-down list, select whether you want to include an attachment of a particular category, or add the content of a field in your case.
- In the field below, select an attachment category or a field that you want to
include as an attachment.
For example: If you select a category of scanned documents, your application attaches all scanned documents to the email. For example: If you select a field that stores the amount of the loan requested, your application creates an attachment that contains the amount.
- To add more attachments, repeat steps 7.b through 7.d.
- Click Save.
Previous topic Requesting approval from users Next topic Configuring cascading approvals