Define topics in Pega Intelligent Virtual Assistant™ (IVA) so that the system can adjust
responses by analyzing user input through natural language processing (NLP) and text
analytics models. The topics represent the general subject matter of the user input that
the system detects to help the chatbot select the correct response commands, case
commands, and conversation processes during a chat interaction.
for a travel agency application, when a customer sends a message to the chatbot to book a
flight, the system correctly detects the subject matter of the chat conversation and starts
a Book Flight business case.
- In the navigation pane of
App Studio, click Channels.
- In the Current channel interfaces section, click the icon
that represents your existing Digital Messaging, Legacy Webchat, or Alexa channel.
- In the channel, click the Behavior tab.
- To enable the advanced configuration mode, in the Text
Analyzer section, select the Use advanced
In the advanced configuration mode, you configure the advanced text analyzers
in the system that use NLP and adaptive analytics. If you do not use advanced
configuration, you configure the default text analyzer that exactly matches user
input to a response. For more information, see Exploring text predictions and text analyzers
- In the Text Analyzer section, click Edit
topics for the text analyzer that you want to edit.
- In the Edit topics window, click Add
A topic is the general subject, the intent of a voice command or a text
message that the system detects using text analysis.
- In the table columns, specify a topic and matching criteria:
- In the Topic field, enter the natural language
processing topic for the IVA to use as the response. The NLP text analyzer
determines the topic based on criteria that either matches exactly, matches
approximately, and or never matches the user input.
- In the Approximate match field, to configure the
IVA to look for approximate matches in the user input, enter words and
phrases that you want to use, and then separate them with commas. For
example, for an initial greeting responses, enter:
hello, good morning.
- In the Must match field, to configure the IVA to
look for specific items in the conversation content, enter words and phrases
that you want to exactly match in the topic, and separate them with commas.
For example, for an initial greeting response, enter
- In the Never match field, enter comma-separated
words or phrases to always ignore when matching for the topic. For example,
for an initial greeting response to never match a goodbye greeting, enter
- Optional: To add more topics to a text analyzer, repeat step 6 and 7.
- Click Submit.
- Click Save.