Client Channel API guidelines
Use the guidelines in this section to help you design the best possible third-party client channel integration with the Digital Messaging channel.
- The Client Channel API does not provide a direct integration to any client channels, for example, Slack or Teams.
- You cannot create an integration in your local environment that directly connects to your client channel and Digital Messaging Service. You must build a custom integration layer that meets the endpoint and payload requirements for both your client channel and the Client Channel API, in order to pass messages between them.
- Each client channel has unique setup and configuration guidelines for integrating with an API. Consult the documentation for the third-party client channel for specific instructions on how to configure the integration.
- You must configure the URL endpoints on your local environment to enable the message delivery between your client channel and the Client Channel API. The endpoint for the Client Channel API is displayed in your Digital Messaging Manager settings. For your client channel endpoints, consult API instructions that are specific to your third-party client channel, in order to create your implementation endpoints. You must configure the webhook URL so that the URL is publicly accessible (off VPN) to enable communication with Digital Messaging Service. If your integration layer is behind a firewall or otherwise limits access to internal-only users and components, you must set up the webhook URL so that the URL is reachable publicly.
- You must secure all endpoints using the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, by using https.
- The system uses JSON Web Tokens (JWT) to authenticate the communication in both directions, between your local environment and Digital Messaging Service. You must generate a valid JWT to include in each request to send.
- The Client Channel API does not track chat sessions. You must handle session control in your integration layer or the client channel.
Previous topic Client Channel API Next topic Client Channel API payload requirements