JMS listeners provide Pega Platform with the information it needs to route Java Message Service (JMS) messages from a specific topic or queue to a Pega Platform JMS service ( Rule-Service-JMS rule type). A JMS listener or JMS MDB listener data instance specifies which queue or topic contains the messages to be consumed and which JMS service rule(s) will process the messages.
The following tabs are available on this form:
Pega Platform supports both JMS messaging domains: publish-and-subscribe (including durable subscriptions) and point-to-point.
Determining the appropriate listener type
JMS listeners can be implemented in two ways:
- When Pega Platform is deployed as an Enterprise application, the listener is a message-driven bean (MDB) deployed inside your Pega Platform application. The MDB routes messages to the JMS service rule. If your Pega Platform system is deployed as an enterprise application, configure JMS MDBs with this JMS MDB Listener form. You use the form to configure the listener and to generate a fragment of the EJB deployment descriptor file that describes the MDB. Insert the fragment into the message-driven beans subsection of the Pega Platform EJB deployment descriptor file. For deployment instructions, see the Pega Community article How to deploy a JMS Listener as a message-driven bean.
- When Pega Platform is deployed as a Web application, the listener runs as a Java thread created when Pega Platform starts. The listener waits for incoming messages on the JMS destination (queue or topic). At regular intervals (as specified on the listener form), the listener checks to see if Pega Platform has issued a request for it to stop running. If your Pega Platform system is deployed as a Web application, configure JMS listeners with the JMS Listener form ( Data-Admin-Connect-JMSListener ), not this form.
For more information about the differences in the way listeners work based on how Pega Platform is deployed, see the Pega Community article Using MQ and JMS services with Enterprise Application deployment.
Use the Records Explorer to review or create JMS MDB listener data instances.
The Data-Admin-Connect-JMSMDBListener class contains JMS MDB listener data instances. They are part of the Integration-Resources category.
- JMS MDB Listener data instances - Completing the New or Save As form
Create a new JMS MDB Listener data instance by selecting JMS MDB Listener from the Integration-Resources category.
- JMS MDB Listener form - Completing the Listener Properties tab
Use the Listener Properties tab to set up the Pega Platform configuration options for the listener, including to which service rule it routes the JMS messages from the queue or topic it monitors.
- JMS MDB Listener form - Completing the JMS Properties tab
Use the JMS Properties tab to set up the JMS configuration options for the listener, including the topic or queue and which messaging domain to use.
- More about JMS MDB Listener data instances