Data objects define the logical data layer and hold data for your application. A data object simplifies the organization of the properties, data pages, transforms, and other elements your application needs to get the right data at the right time. Data objects are called data types in Dev Studio.
For example, you could use a Customer data object to manage customer contact information. The data object might include the customer's name, email, phone number, and so on. You can also reference a data object from a case type to add the data object and all of its fields to a view.
You can define the following sources for your data object:
- Pega – If you choose to connect the data object to the Pega database, Pega Platform creates the artifacts needed for your
- A table in the Pega database to store the data for the data object
- A database table record to map your class to the new table
- A report definition to browse data of the type stored in the table
- Three data pages that your application uses to access the data: a read-only single object data page, a savable single object data page, and a read-only list data page
- REST – If you choose a system other than Pega, Pega Platform creates one data page that is defined from your REST API.
Use the following topics to create a data object, to connect a data object to a system of record, and to save data to a system of record.