To import structured data to the clipboard, create a Parse Structured rule to use in conjunction with a Service File rule or the Apply-Parse-Structured method. For example, you can import fixed-format flat files from various external sources and platforms.
- In the header of Dev Studio, click .
- On the Create page, in the Label field,
enter an identifier.This key value is arbitrary.
- In the Context section, in the Apply to
field, select the exact class to which this rule applies.
When this rule is referenced in an activity or elsewhere, this key part must match the class provided in the referencing rule, because rule resolution does not search the class hierarchy for parse structured rules.The list of available class names depends on the ruleset that you select. Each class can restrict the application of rules to an explicit set of rulesets, as specified on the Advanced tab of the class form.
- Click Create and open.
- Complete the Steps tab. For more information, see Using the Steps tab on the Parse Structured form.
- On the Parameters tab, define input parameters for the parse
structured rule.Select In or Out to indicate whether the parameter is used for input to the called activity or output from the activity.
The system does not prevent setting the value of an In parameter. A called activity can access and change both In and Out parameters on the parameter page.
For more information, see Defining the input parameters of a rule.
- On the Parameters tab, in the Local
variables section, define the local variables.
- In the Name field, enter the name of the local variable.
- In the Description field, enter the description of the local variable.
- In the Data type field, select the data type of the local
variable.The data type ensures that the local variable displays to the user correctly.
- Complete the Security tab. For more information, see Restricting Parse Structured rule execution.
- Click Save.