To avoid development delays, use simulated data when a data source is unavailable.
- Create some sample data for your application. For more information, refer to
Creating a data type in Dev Studio.You can provide the sample data from a lookup, a data transform, or a load activity. The sample data should include values to populate all the properties that the page, section, or other component referencing the data page requires.
- In the navigation pane of Dev Studio, click Records.
- Expand the Data Model category, and then click Data Page.
- Click the data page of interest that the application will reference.
- In the Definition tab, in the Data Sources section, select the Simulate data source check box.
- In the System name field, enter or select the name of the system to use for simulated data.
- Click Save.
If you already had a configured data source, the system saves the actual data source configuration for future use. When you clear the Simulate data source check box, the system restores the actual data source specification, so when you are ready to move from simulated to real data, clear Simulate data source and save the data page.
If you created a new data page, update the data source to use real data when the actual data source is available.
- Replacing a simulated data source
To prepare your application for production, replace simulated data with the data from real data sources.
- Turning on data source simulation
If your data source is unavailable, you can continue to develop and test applications by turning on simulation for the data page.
- Turning off data source simulation
Turn off data source simulation when you are ready to use your actual system of record.