- Create a rule to store the decision table:
- In the header of Dev Studio, click .
- In the Label field, enter a name that describes the purpose of the table.
- In the Apply to field, select the class in which you want to create the decision table.
- Click Create and open.
- Optional: To prepopulate the decision table with values, upload an .xls file that stores starting
- In the toolbar, click Import.
- In the Upload file dialog box, click Choose file.
- In the Open window, navigate to the file on your local machine, and then click Open.
- Click Upload file.
- On the Table tab, in the Conditions column, click the header cell.
- In the Decision table property chooser window, in the Property field, enter or select a property that you want to use as a condition.
- In the Label field, enter the name of the property that you want to display in the header of the decision table.
- Select a comparison method:
- To use a simple comparison, in the Use operator list,
select the operator.
For example, select >= to indicate that the value in the decision table must be equal to or greater than the value that the decision table evaluates at run time.
- To specify a range for the condition property, select the Use
range check box, and then define the start and end of a range.
For example, you can configure a property value to be greater than and lower than certain amounts.
- To use a simple comparison, in the Use operator list, select the operator.
- Click Save.
- Optional: To consider additional factors in a decision, add more condition properties:
- In the if row, click the cell under a property, and then enter a
value that the decision table evaluates at run time.If you configure two or more conditions, enter a value for at least one of the conditions. Your application ignores cells without values.
- In the Return column, enter a return result.
- Optional: To insert an additional value in a cell, add an OR condition:
When an application evaluates the cell at run time, the application starts with the value in the top part of the cell.
- To insert the OR condition before the current value, on the toolbar, click the Insert OR before icon.
- To insert the OR condition after the current value, on the toolbar, click the Insert OR after icon.
- Optional: To provide more outcomes, populate more rows with values:
- In the otherwise row, in the Return column, select or enter a property that defines an application behavior when no condition in the table returns a true value.
- Optional: To ensure that your application can process the table, check the table for conflicts by clicking Show conflicts on the toolbar.
- Optional: To increase the possibility of reaching a return value, improve the completeness of the table by clicking Show completeness on the toolbar.
- Click Save.
- Optional: To import the decision table to an .xls file, for example to share with stakeholders offline, in the toolbar, click Export.