You create multiple branches in a data flow to create independent paths for processing data in your application. By splitting your data flow into multiple paths, you can decrease the number of Data Flow rules that are required to process data from a single source.
- In Dev Studio, click .
- Click the Data Flow rule to branch.
- On the Data Flow tab, locate the Destination shape and click
You can add only one Branch shape in a data flow. The Branch shape radiates connectors that lead to each Destination shape that you created. In each of those connectors, you can add Filter, Convert, and Data Transform shapes to apply processing instructions that are specific only to the destination that the connector leads to.
- In the new data flow branch, right-click the new Destination shape and select Properties.
Output data to
section, expand the
drop-down list and select the destination rule type:
- Data flow
- Data set
- Depending on the destination rule type, select the rule of that type to become a destination in this Data Flow rule or create a new rule by clicking the Open icon.
- Click Submit.
- Optional: Click on the branch and select Convert, Data Transform, or Filter to apply additional processing to the data in the new branch. These shapes are specific only to the branch on which they are added and do not influence data processing on other branches in the Data Flow rule. You can add multiple branch-specific shapes in a single branch.
- Optional: Repeat steps 1 through 8 to create additional branches in the Data Flow rule.