Creating an update pipeline
Update pipelines automate and simplify near-zero-downtime updates by automating the basic update process. By using Deployment Manager as a standard DevOps approach during updates, you can promote the update fixes with ease to production and non-production environments through a single pipeline.
Ensure the staging clone environment has proper provisioning to perform update validation before you create an update pipeline.
Adding a new update pipeline
Deployment Manager manages pipelines for your application. To begin working with an application pipeline, you must first add one.
- Click Pipelines.
- On the top-right of the portal, click New .
- Select Update pipeline. Pipeline templates drive the necessary information to complete the creation of a pipeline. For more information, see Pipeline templates.
Note: If you choose to navigate away from any of the pipeline creation screens, save your configuration. If you do not save the configurations, you lose your progress. Continue below to add application environment and pipeline model details.
Configuring a new update pipeline-Application Details
Configuring the application details for an update pipeline is the first of three steps to create an update pipeline.
- In the Pipeline name field, enter a name for the pipeline.
- In the Application packaging environment field, specify the environment URL for the application package location.
- In the Authentication profile field, select or enter the
authentication profile to connect to the application packaging
Note: Pega Cloud auto-detects the application packaging environment with the staging clone environment provisioned for update validation. Validate the accuracy of this URL.
- In the Approver dropdown list, select the Deployment Manager user to promote the update to environments and confirm that the platform update is complete.
Application packaging environment
Application details for update pipelines
To simplify updating your application update fixes, Deployment Manager you the KeepPegaCurrent application in Deployment manager.
The KeepPegaCurrent application has two product rules to package update artifacts. For more information, see Understanding update pipelines. To aid in this workflow, Deployment Manager presets the application details for update pipelines. Ensure that the UpdateFixes product rule has the update fixes for all applications that this change affects.
Configure the updateTestAssets product rule to package all test assets you need to perform confidence testing during the Go-no-Go phase.
Configuring a new update pipeline - Environment Details
After you complete the application details for your update pipeline, you configure the candidate environment details for the pipeline to use where you deploy the application.
- The Staging-Clone environment is the updated, cloned staging-environment where
you make update fixes. On Pega Cloud services, the URL contains the
- The Ephemeral environment is the temporary production environment. In Pega Cloud services, the URL contains the word
- Deployment Manager pre-populates an update pipeline with six
- Staging-clone - Updated environment where the team validates their applications. Use this stage to fix any update impacts and source changes.
- Ephemeral - This stage represents a short-lived environment that comes to life during the Go-no-Go phase. Update and deploy this environment with your production rule schema and data schema. Run confidence tests on this environment before you confirm updates on production.
- Production - Actual production environment of the client. In a basic update, production updates after you approve the Go decision.
- Staging - Actual staging environment of the client. In a basic update, staging updates after the production update completes.
- Quality Assurance - Actual quality assurance environment of the client. In a basic update, staging updates after the production update completes.
- Development - Actual development environment of the client. In a basic update, staging updates after the production update completes.
- In the Authentication Profile field for the system, press the Down arrow key, and then select the authentication profile that you want to communicate from the orchestration server to the system.
- In the Artifact management section, select the development and production repositories through which the product rule that contains application moves through the pipeline.
- In the Development repository field, select the development repository.
- In the Production repository field, select the production repository.
- Click Next.
Configuring a new update pipeline - Model Pipeline
Update pipelines offer the optimal end-to-end process recommended to migrate update fixes during the basic update process.
To further enhance the pipeline with additional features, edit the pipeline model from the pipeline model screen. To customize your update process, you can add stages or tasks to any pre-populated stage.
Previous topic Creating a deploy artifact pipeline Next topic Configuring an application pipeline in 5.5.x