Links may not function; however, this content may be relevant to outdated versions of the product.
Automated data page testing: application setup
You can test the functionality of data pages individually or in large batches by doing automated testing of data pages. Data page testing consists of running a data page, converting the run into a test, and then configuring and saving the test.
Before you do automated data page testing, you must make sure that your application is configured correctly. Configuration involves these basic steps:
- Creating a development/test application on top of the current application.
- Creating a test ruleset in the new application copy.
- Verifying that the test ruleset is in the correct location in relation to other rulesets.
- Adding test cases to the test ruleset.
After the application is configured, you can begin creating data page unit test case rules and using those rules to test your application.
Note that failure to configure your application correctly can create issues. Additionally, be aware that non-test rules created after the creation of a test ruleset can be saved into the test ruleset. This situation can happen when the test ruleset is in the first position of the ruleset list as described in the following section.
Creating a development or test application on top of the current application
To create a development or test application, your application must be open in Designer Studio.
- Create an application instance and set its Built on application as the current application (the application that you want to test).
- Add any development rulesets to the application.
- Copy the access group from the original application, and do not change anything except the application name.
Creating a test ruleset and verifying its location
Create a test ruleset that is separate from your production ruleset so that you do not have unnecessary test or test result data in your production application.
- In the Application, click Add ruleset and enter a name for the new test ruleset.
- In the Category tab of the ruleset details, select the Use this ruleset to store test cases check box. This setting enables data page unit test case rules to be stored in this ruleset.
You can enable Test automation settings in more than one ruleset.
- Verify that the test ruleset is the last ruleset in the list. If the test ruleset is not the last in the list, it is possible that subsequently created rules might be saved into the test ruleset. However, unit test case rules cannot be saved into a ruleset that does not have test automation settings enabled.
- Order the rulesets by clicking the number next to the ruleset name and dragging it to the position that you want.
Adding test cases to the test ruleset
When creating data page unit test rules, verify that you are selecting the test ruleset.
- Check the RS in the Create Unit Test Case page when the test case is created. Click the Gear icon to update the ruleset value.
- Verify that you save the test case in the correct development branch in the application context.