The Project Management Framework portal provides access to project management tools and functions users need to create and manage projects.
The menus and options that appear on a user portal depends on the role that a user plays in the project. Project managers typically have access to administrative functions as well as work functions where
The portal is divided into two main sections.
- The Header located at the top of the portal
- The Workspace located below the header where users perform project work and monitor project activity
The header contains menus and gadgets that provide users with quick access to the actions menu for commonly used tools and functions, the search tool, and operator preferences.
Click the Actions menu to navigate to menu options that:
- create new project objects - NewMenu
- open administrative tools - ToolsMenu
- display lists of existing objects - ViewMenu
Use this menu to add new:
- Products and releases
- Projects, tasks, bugs, and issues
- SmartBPM project and task group templates
Use this menu to project management functions used primarily by Project Managers to:
Use this menu to view lists of key project management components that exist in the framework and select them for further processing.
This gadget provides a flexible search tool where users can enter text strings, IDs, and operators to find and display project work.
- Enter a text string that relates to the work you are searching for and press the enter key or click .
- The system displays all work objects that contain the string you entered highlighting that string. Above the search results are a series of selection boxes where you can filter the search result.
- Click a result to display it.
This gadget allows users to:
- Display their operator profile to set their work availability and change their password
- Edit project and email preferences
The workspace is the screen area where the administrative functions and the monitoring and processing of work assignments takes place. It provides unique views of project activity by selecting the Dashboard, Work and Report tabs.
Anytime a user selects a menu option or displays an assignment or unit of work, a tab is appended to the top of the workspace containing the item ID and the work displays in the workspace. The user can toggle between assignments or display a project view without losing work in process. Clicking x on the tab closes the assignment window.
Project items also display a breadcrumb trail that links the displayed item to its parent items on the project tree. Click a link to display opens the items.
The Dashboard Tab
Selecting the Dashboard tab displays a high level summary of the projects where you are associated as a resource or a stakeholder.
- The Limit Project Status by field filters the project list to show All Open Projects (default view), Open Scrum Projects, Resolved Projects, or All Projects.
- The View for field allows you to view another resource's project list. Enter an operator ID and click Refresh.
- Click next to column to filter the display.
- Double-click a row to display a project.
- Click Refresh to refresh the project list.
- Click View Legend to display a pop-up window describing project statuses and colors.
The Work Tab
Selecting the Work tab displays the user's worklist and provides tools and functions to view and manage the work of other operators and workbaskets. The sections on this tab are determined by the role the user plays in the project.
This section displays the user's worklist.
- Clicking a row opens the item in the workspace and adds a tab to the top of the display with its item ID.
- The Show selection box allows users to filter the worklist to view all of their work or just bug items.
- Click Refresh to refresh the worklist.
- Click Show Full List to display the full list of the user's work in a pop-up window where you can export them to an Excel spreadsheet.
- Click Dates and Efforts to display a list of your tasks and bugs in a pop-up window where you can enter and update their date and effort values. When done, click Save to accept your changes.
- Use the icons to move between multiple pages of items on your worklist.
This section tracks the last items that you have displayed and/or worked and allows you to return to them. If the item's tab has been closed, select it from the list to reopen a tab and display it.
Operators & Workbaskets
This section allows you to view the worklists of operators and workbaskets in your work division or all work divisions in the organization.
This section allows users to perform bulk processing of open work assigned to operators and workbaskets. You can:
- Bulk transfer work to and from operators and workbaskets
- Bulk process work on an operator's worklist or in a workbasket by selecting the work type and action you want to perform
The Reports Tab
This tab displays the Project Management reports that are shipped with the framework. The reports are designed to monitor and track project work and progress in three areas:
- Project Summary — displays real time project summary information; tracks the status of open task groups in open project releases
- Work Management — reports task and task group activity including bug items and issues; provides productivity information and statistics
- Defect Management — reports the status and tracks the progress of bug items
As you begin to use the framework to manage projects, you can use the icons on this display to browse the list of existing reports and create your own custom reports.
See online help topic: About the Report Wizard
This article links to the following articles describing features and functions of the PMF 6.1.1 release.
Select one of the following links to connect to a group of articles specific to working with Scrum or SmartBPM projects in PMF.
Return to About the Project Management Framework