The Project Management Framework can track the development activity and effort for project tasks and bug fixes assigned to you through a real-time communication link to systems where the actual development occurs..
When your current application is enabled for Project Management:
- A Project Explorer is added to the Designer Studio.
- The application menu is populated with three project options -- Switch Project, Project Tasks and Refresh Tasks.
Note: These options can appear grayed out and unavailable to you. Typically, this happens when you there are no tasks or bugs directly assigned to you for any project. It also happens when your operator ID on the development system does not match your operator ID on PMF.
Select Switch Project to toggle between the PMF projects that have tasks and bug fixes assigned to you.
Select Project Tasks to list the tasks and bug items assigned to you in PMF.
- Expand a task or bug to display the descriptive detail of the work.
- Click Export to Excel to export the list to an excel spreadsheet.
- To view the list of another operator or workbasket, select the Other Worklist or Workbasket view and enter the operator ID or workbasket name.
Select Refresh Tasks to refresh the task list with new work assignments from PMF and delete work that has been completed.
- The navigation panel lists the task groups containing your work assignments in your current project. If the assignment is a bug item linked directly to the project rather than a task group, N/A appears in the list instead of a GRP number.
When you perform work on a task or a bug item, you record your work effort in the Project Management section of the New, Save As, and Check In rule form and link it to its task group. When the task group is in focus, a tree displays where you can view and access the rules that have been added or modified as part of your development work for a task or bug.
Recording Development Effort
When you create a New rule or perform a Save As or Check In of an existing rule, the pop-up window displays a Project Management section to record your work effort and associate it with a task or bug on your task list.
- Your current project defaults in the Project ID field. If you want to record work against a different project, use the Switch Project option from the application menu to change it.
- Select the Task Group and the Task (task or bug) you are working on. When selected, the item detail populates the Task Description field.
- In the Additional Hours Worked field, enter the amount of time you have spent in hours or parts of an hour since your last update.
- Update the Hours Remaining field to reflect the balance of the effort needed to complete the task or bug. The field is initially populated with the current remaining hours in PMF. You can reduce that number by the amount of time you worked on the rule or you can increase it to indicate that there will be additional time needed to complete the work.
- Enter details of your change in the Note field.
New and SaveAs
When you check in a rule, you can record your time worked and update the hours remaining or you can flag the task as complete. If complete, enter only your work time. Checking the box resolves the task or bug item in PMF and removes the task from your list.
Note: If you use the bulk check-in report to check in your rules, the task or bug can be resolved but you cannot log the actual effort to complete it. As a result, effort totals in PMF do not reflect the actual development effort for the task and bugs.. They must be updated in PMF.
Updates to Tasks and Bug Fixes
Every time you update or complete a task or bug:
- The detail is recorded in the Related Updates tab of the task and bug display
- The hours worked are rolled up into the task group and project totals and the remaining hours are recalculated. If set to complete, the remaining hours are set to zero.
- If the task or bug is resolved:
- it is removed from your list of assigned work and resolved in PMF if the Task Complete box is checked on the Check-in form or the Bulk Check-in report.
- it is included in the Work Management reports for resolved work
Viewing Development Activity from PMF
You can view or track development activity in PMF from several display sections and tabs.
- On a task or bug item display, development updates are visible on the Related Updates tab.
- For projects, the Rule Updates by Resource and Task/Bug report in the Additional Reports section of the Reports tab displays a list of updates grouped by project resource.
- For cross project reporting, the Work Management Reports section of the Reports view of the portal contains two reports that display different views of the rule update data -- Rule Updates by Project and Resource and Rule Updates by Resource and Project.
This article links to the following articles describing features and functions of the PMF 6.1.1 release.
Select one of the following links to connect to a group of articles specific to working with Scrum or SmartBPM projects in PMF.
Return to About the Project Management Framework