Links may not function; however, this content may be relevant to outdated versions of the product.
Previewing mobile apps
Before you generate an executable file for your mobile app, verify that the pages and layout correspond with your design, and that the application logic functions in line with your expectations. Use a mobile device with the Pega Mobile Preview app to preview a mobile channel that you configure for an application.With Pega Mobile Preview, you do not have to obtain certificates or generate executable files before you access the contents of your mobile app.
- Configure the mobile channel. For more information, see Setting up mobile apps.
- On your mobile device, download and install Pega Mobile Preview from Apple App Store or Google Play.
When you develop a mobile app for an application, preview the mobile channel on a mobile device after each change that influences the application. For example, generate a preview after you add a page, change the layout, or modify the flow.
Pega Mobile Preview shows an approximation of user experience that can help you develop and test your mobile app, until you build an executable file. Pega Mobile Preview does not support certain features, for example, push notifications.
Mobile channels that you add to Pega Mobile Preview expire after 30 days.
- In the navigation pane of App Studio, click Channels.
- In the Current channel interfaces section, click a tile that corresponds to the mobile channel that you want to modify.
- In the upper-right corner of the mobile channel configuration page, click the
Pega mobile preview icon.
Result: The Preview your application pane with a QR code appears.
- On your mobile device, open Pega Mobile Preview, and then tap Start configuring.
- On the channel definition screen, add your mobile channel to the list of available
Choices Actions Scan the QR code Tap Scan the QR code, point the camera to the QR code on the Preview your application pane, and then wait for the reader to recognize the code. Enter the URL of the mobile channel
In the Active list, you can add more channels to by tapping the Add icon, or remove channels by swiping them left or right.
- In App Studio, on the mobile channel configuration page, in
the Preview your application pane, click Email
Result: An e-mail message opens in your default e-mail client.
- With your default e-mail client, send the e-mail message to a mailbox that you can access from your mobile device.
- On your mobile device, open the message, and then copy the URL of the mobile channel.
- In Pega Mobile Preview, tap Enter URL manually, and then paste the mobile channel address.
- In App Studio, on the mobile channel configuration page, in the Preview your application pane, click Email me instructions.
- In the Active list, tap the channel that you want to access.
- On the authentication screen, log in to the channel.
- Test the mobile channel to ensure that the layout and functionality of the mobile app meet the requirements.
- Optional: To update the mobile channel after you modify the mobile app in Pega Platform, refresh the channel:
Choices Actions Refresh the current screen
- Swipe down the contents of the screen.
Refresh the mobile channel
- On any screen of the current mobile channel, tap the Back icon.
- In the Active list, tap the name of the mobile channel.
- Setting up mobile apps
Create a mobile channel to configure, customize, and generate your mobile app. For example, you can set up a mobile channel for an expense reporting application, to build a mobile app that supports users who work away from their desks.
- Adding content to mobile apps
Enhance the content of your mobile app by managing the out-of-the-box user interface pages or adding custom ones. For example, you can create a native page with a list of pending expense reports that managers can process. You can further improve the user experience in your mobile app by implementing native components, such as mobile search or a floating action button.
- Enhancing mobile apps
Increase the usability and improve the user engagement of your mobile app by enabling and implementing features that ensure a modern mobile experience. You can customize your mobile app and tailor it to both your business needs, and the needs of the users.
Previous topic Adding items to the menu bar Next topic Enhancing mobile apps