Avoid redundant processing of actions and increase app performance by
disabling server-side postprocessing in offline-enabled cases.
For example, in an
offline-enabled mobile app for expense reporting, you have postprocessing actions that increase
a counter property on a work page from an offline-enabled case type that lists all submitted
reports. This increase is an action that the app must perform only once, so you can configure
the app to only perform these actions on the client by skipping the server-side postprocessing
of actions for this case type.
Before you begin: Add a case type to your offline-enabled app. For more
information, see Enabling case processing in offline-enabled mobile apps.
When an app has network connectivity, mobile users process a
case by performing steps, and the app runs various postprocessing actions on the server. When
the app is in offline mode, the app queues these actions and runs them on the server during
the subsequent data synchronization. However, your offline-enabled app can also run these
actions in online mode. If you use these custom activities in offline mode, and your business
process ensures that the data from the client is always valid and final, you can skip the
postprocessing on the server. This approach avoids duplicate processing of actions and saves
server and app resources.
Result: At run time, your offline-enabled app runs all postprocessing
actions on the client. When the app goes online and runs a data synchronization process, the
server does not run these actions again.
- Open your mobile channel:
- In the header of Dev Studio, click the name of the application, and then click
Channels and interfaces.
- In the Current channel interfaces section, click
the tile that represents a mobile channel for your app.
- On the mobile channel page, on the Configuration tab, click the
- In the Case type section, next to the case type for which you want
to disable server-side processing, click the Edit configuration
- In the case type configuration dialog box, expand the Advanced
- Select the Perform post-processing only on client checkbox.
- On the mobile channel rule form, click Save.