Completing the prerequisite tasks
Complete the following prerequisites before you update the application.
When completing the prerequisites, back up your system after key milestones to ensure that you can revert to the last working version of the system if you encounter an issue. For instructions, see Backing up your system.
- Verify that you have already run the required Pega Customer Service Upgrade
Checker and the optional the Sales Automation Upgrade Checker. The
upgrade checkers identify rule conflicts between the current version and the new version
of the application.For information, see Pega Customer Service Upgrade Checker and Optional: Pega Sales Automation Upgrade Checker.
- When updating from a version that is not the previous version, review the update guides
and release notes for each of the interim versions. For example, if updating from release
8.5 to release 8.7, review the 8.6 update guide, 8.6
release notes, and this guide.Some product changes, such as deprecated and withdrawn features, require user action before the update. See the Pega Customer Service documentation for legacy update guides and release notes. To review a list of the product changes that have update impacts, see Crucial update information for Pega Customer Relationship Management.
- If using a Pega Customer Service application, update legacy portals if necessary. For information, see Updating legacy Pega Customer Service portals.
- Before starting an update, and before
backing up your system, review the database policies and application permissions that
are used by your Pega Platform
whether the application is permitted to update the database automatically or if you must
generate the database scripts that your organization will use to manually make schema
To automatically update the application schema, your access group must have the SchemaImport privilege and the dynamic system setting database/AutoDBSchemaChanges must be set to true. Otherwise, you can create a DDL file to apply the schema changes manually.
During the application update process, the import tool will have an option to automatically apply database schema updates or extract the database scripts to provide to the database administrators. If the schema updates are executed manually, the jar file installation is paused until the schema updates are applied.
- Update to the latest version of Pega Platform 8.7, and ensure that you can log in as an administrator. For more information, see the Pega Platform Update Guide for your environment on the Stay Current with Pega page.
- Determine which language packs are applicable to your product and check for
availability. For information, see Pega Marketplace.
- Optional: Because SQL database triggers are no longer supported, before you update the application, have your database administrator check for and drop triggers.
Previous topic Completing pre-update tasks Next topic Backing up your system