Data migration pipeline overview
The automated data migration pipeline provides you with the means to test how the changes that you make to decision strategies affect their results, without running these strategies in a live production environment.
With a separate system instance that is reserved for simulations, you can sample a selection of real customer and internal Pega Platform data, and then migrate the sample to that dedicated test instance. As a result, the simulations are based on the migrated production data, that is, customer details, adaptive model data, and interaction history, which helps you assess how your changes are reflected in real-life scenarios.
Setting up a data migration pipeline comprises of the following components that together migrate the data according to the process in the following diagram:
- Development environment generating the migration artifacts (enterprise changes)
- Sandbox environment for simulating business changes through Revision Management
- Production environment for collecting customer data samples and sourcing the data for migration to the Business Operations environment
- Business Operations environment for running simulations with the data from the production environment
- Deployment Manager (orchestration server) for running the data migration (future release)
You can run the data migration pipeline in both Pega Cloud services environments, which provide automatic setup of all the data migration settings, and in on-premises configurations. For systems without Deployment Manager, you can run the data migration manually.
For systems with Deployment Manager, you can create pipelines to automatically export data from the production system and import it into the simulation system. For more information about configuring Deployment Manager, see Configuring Deployment Manager for data migration pipelines.
Sample use case
A dedicated Business Operations environment can help you facilitate multiple business processes. Discover a sample scenario of a successful Business Operations environment implementation to learn how you can use simulations based on sample production data to produce better business results. For more information, see Configuring the system for running simulations of decision strategies.
Previous topic Deploying sample production data to a Business Operations environment for testing Next topic Configuring Deployment Manager for data migration pipelines