With the search functions of the Pega Customer Service portal, users can search for cases (work objects), knowledge content, and data sources such as accounts, contacts, and business units. A basic search and an advanced search is available for use in the Interaction portal.
You can perform a basic search by entering the search text in the search field of the Interaction portal. In the advanced search section, you can configure more fields as filters for a better search experience. When you select the fields for the Search results field as filters, the sequence of your selection determines the order in which you want the fields to appear in the Search results section.
Complete the following tasks to configure portal search:
Enabling the data source for portal search
In the Pega Customer Service application, to enable a data page for portal search, you must enable the data source rule to adopt the data page. Every data page is associated with one or more data source rules. Ensure that you create the list based data page for the targeted data source object and source it from a report definition.
To enable the portal search for a data source, perform the following steps:
- In Dev Studio, create a new section as a wrapper section
which includes two sections, one for advance search filters and other for
displaying search results. The Search result section
contains a grid that is sourced from the clipboard page
pySearchResults.pxResults. This requires an open ruleset on top
of your current application ruleset. For more information to create a new
section, Creating sections.
Note: The name of the wrapper section that includes the search filter and the search grid section must be in the given format: Search_<data source name> and is case sensitive. For example, Search_Account where the Account is the data source name.
- Create a new data page or open an existing data page by clicking the
Data types category in the Records Explorer. For more
information to create a new data page, see Creating a data page.
Note: When you create a data page, do not add any Refresh Strategy under the Load Management tab.
- In the Definitions tab, change the Edit mode field to Read only.
- Configure the Scope as Requestor.
- Click Save.
- Search for the MatchingRecordsCountForFilter data transform rule.
- In the Definitions tab, click the Add a row icon.
- Add a When rule condition to pass the data source specific search properties.
- Call the data source specific data page that fetches the records.
- Check for the records, if they exist, then add Append and Map to under Action and map the data page results to pySearchResults.
- In the next sub-step, set the properties to data page property type.
- Click Save.
Configuring the portal search for data sources
Pega Customer Service uses data source rules to configure portal search functions for data sources.
In App Studio, you can configure the search fields that you want to appear in
the advance search and the search results section of the portal search page.
For any data source that you want to include in the Pega Customer Service portal search, complete the following steps:
- In the navigation pane of App Studio, click Data.
- From the list, select the data type for which you want to configure the portal search.
- In the Settings tab, click Search Configuration.
- In the Search Configuration section, select your data source
from the Select your data source category list.
Note: The data source list appears only if your data page is associated with multiple data sources.
- To enable the portal search for the selected data source, select the Portal search check box.
- To make the selected data source the default tab when any search is performed, select
the Default tab in search results? check box.
Note: If no data sources are configured as default, then the Cases tab is selected as default.
- From the list of available Field names, select the fields that
you want to display in the Advanced search section and in the
Search result section.
Note: Select the fields in the order that you want them to be displayed in the Search results section of the Interaction portal. Ensure that you have at least one field selected for both the advanced search and search results. You can select a maximum of seven fields to display.
- Click Save.
Configuring search for cases and work objects
Pega Customer Service uses the Pega Platform search facility for work objects and case data. Pega Customer Service searches for your work types and other objects only if they are listed on your application rule or an inherited application rule.
When a user selects a work object or case from the portal search results list, a tab opens in the general work area using the Review harness for that work type.
For information about adding search capabilities to the PDF files attached to your cases, see Implementing the Advanced PDF Search component in your application.