Pega DX API Version 1 and Version 2 apply to different scenarios. By learning about the differences between the two versions, you can decide which approach suits your use case better.
DX API Version 1 expands on the mashup experience by integrating Pega-based processes into existing channels, with complete control over how the external site renders the experience. DX API v1 directly translates the state of the screen in Pega UI to a REST message. This approach allows for the use of standard assets, such as sections and harnesses, and as a result, makes v1 the optimal choice for existing applications.
DX API Version 2 improves upon v1 by providing a significantly different approach that optimizes the number of messages (chattiness) and their structure. However, only applications built on Cosmos React, which uses the new view-based approach, can fully benefit from DX API v2.
The following list outlines the key features of both versions:
DX API v1
- Designed for a mashup-like use case.
- Uses known and established UI rules (harnesses, sections, controls, actions).
- As a comprehensive version, is available from release 8.3.2 onwards.
- Supports React, Vue, and Angular starter packs available on Pega Marketplace.
- Does not support all Pega UI capabilities out of the box.
- Most suitable for existing applications.
DX API v2
- Centered around App Studio and React-based view authoring instead of harnesses and sections (Cosmos React applications).
- Message structure clearly separates data and layout, which improves API binding and allows you to use such technologies as Redux more efficiently.
- Introduces Hypermedia as the Engine of Application State (HATEOAS). As a result, responses provide references to available actions.
- Reduces the number of messages (chattiness).
- Introduces additional endpoints, for example, for following or unfollowing a case, or changing case stages.
- Includes a prebuilt interpreter that is compatible with established frameworks, such as Angular, React, and Web Components.
- Aims to support the full Pega UI capability set and is part of current and future Cosmos implementations.
- Most suitable for new applications.