Links may not function; however, this content may be relevant to outdated versions of the product.
Initiating contact synchronization between Microsoft Exchange and Pega Sales Automation
Use contact synchronization to seamlessly keep contact data in sync between Microsoft Exchange and Pega Sales Automation. Therefore, improve sales representative's productivity by:
- Reducing the need to switch context between applications to find the right contact
- Allowing sales reps to update a contact in one system instead of two
- Reducing the risk of using outdated contact information.
Before you use the contact sync feature, ensure that your data meets the criteria for syncing contact data. For more information, see Syncing criteria.
To ensure that the same list of contacts syncs in both directions, the following syncing criteria must be met:
- To sync contacts from Pega Sales Automation to Microsoft Exchange, a user must be on the team for the contact (see the following figure). When a contact is synced from Pega Sales Automation to Microsoft Exchange for the first time, the system automatically adds the PegaSASync sync category to this contact.
Contact team on the Contact page
Contact sync category in App Studio
- To sync contacts from Microsoft Exchange to Sales Automation, the contact must be in the PegaSASync sync category. When a contact is synced from Microsoft Exchange to Pega Sales Automation for the first time, the system automatically adds this user to the sales team in Pega Sales Automation. For more information, see the Microsoft Outlook documentation.
- In the business-to-business selling mode, to add an Organization for a contact, the domain of the contact email in Microsoft Outlook must match the domain of the Organization in Pega Sales Automation. Ensure that domains on organizations are set for the contacts that have been chosen synchronization. Otherwise, the contact syncs to Pega Sales Automation without an organization. To see whether an organization has the domain set, open any organization and in the Domains. section, see
Contact sync logic
- If multiple contacts have the same email address in Pega Sales Automation, the system syncs the one with the most recent activity. If there is no activity, the system uses the contact with the most recently updated data.
- If multiple users are assigned to the same contact in Outlook based on email addresses, the contacts are synced to a single contact in Pega Sales Automation as long as all users have access to the contact, meaning that they are on the contact team or have access to the territory of this contact. In this case, a change made to a contact in Pega Sales Automation syncs to multiple users' Outlook contacts. A change made in one user’s Outlook contact syncs to Pega Sales Automation and then syncs back up to the other user’s Outlook contacts.
- A duplicate contact is created in Pega Sales Automation if the contact already exists in Pega Sales Automation, but the user does not have access to that contact. In this case, the system creates a new contact in the user's territory.
- Contacts that are closed in Pega Sales Automation are removed from their contact sync category. The system does not delete the PegaSASyncsync category in Outlook. If a user deletes a contact from Outlook, the user is removed from the contact team in Pega Sales Automation, but not closed.
- Contact sync does not clear field values. For example, if a simple contact record is in Pega Sales Automation, but a detailed contact record is in Outlook and both use the same email address, the system updates the Outlook contact with Pega Sales Automation field values but does not clear any fields in Outlook even if they are empty in Pega Sales Automation.
If errors or exceptions occur during the syncing of a contact from Outlook to Pega Sales Automation result, the contact is put into the Error category in Outlook. Errors or exceptions that occur when syncing from Pega Sales Automation to Outlook result in an entry in the contact sync log in Pega Sales Automation. Sales reps should periodically review these exceptions and update their contacts accordingly. To view the contact sync log, select your profile icon and click, as shown in the following figure:
Contact Sync logs in the user profile
Initiating the contact sync
As a sales representative, perform the following steps to initiate synchronization between your contacts in Pega Sales Automation and Microsoft Exchange:
- Ensure that the contact data that you want to synchronize is up to date and complete.
Note: Pega Sales Automation values override Microsoft Outlook values during the initial sync.
- Enable contact sync for the operator records that you want to sync.
For more information, see the Enabling operators for contact sync section in Synchronizing Microsoft Exchange contacts with Pega Sales Automation contacts.
- Optional: For business-to-business data, ensure that the organization domain is populated for any contacts that you want to sync.
The system uses the organization domain to set the organization on the contact. For more information, see Syncing criteria.
- Identify contacts in Pega Sales Automation that you want to sync to Microsoft Exchange.
- Add yourself to the contact team for these contacts.
This step triggers the contact sync to Outlook. Any contact in Outlook with the matching email address is updated with values from Pega Sales Automation. Any contact not found in Outlook is added to Outlook. The system also adds the sync category to all new and matching contacts.
- Wait until the synced contacts show up in Outlook.
Any Outlook contacts that were already in Pega Sales Automation now have the sync category set and the updated values from Pega Sales Automation.
- Identify any other contacts in Outlook that you want to sync to Pega Sales Automation by adding these contacts to the PegaSASync category.
For more information, see Syncing criteria. Adding contacts to the PegaSASync category triggers the contact sync to Pega Sales Automation. The system syncs contacts based on matching email addresses and adds users to the contact team for the synced contact.
After the initial sync in which Pega Sales Automation values override the Outlook values, data is synced both ways without either side taking priority. Any change in Outlook syncs to Pega Sales Automation and any change in Pega Sales Automation syncs to Outlook.
Previous topic Synchronizing contacts between Pega Sales Automation and Microsoft Exchange Next topic Synchronizing Microsoft Exchange contacts with Pega Sales Automation contacts