Using the Privilege Information Utility
In keeping with leading practices, Pega Platform version 8.5 has introduced new security privileges to maintain a strong security architecture.
- Importing the utility.
- Running the utility.
- Creating a pivot table in Excel
1. Importing the Privilege Information Utility
To import the Privilege Information Utility, follow the steps below:
- Download the Privilege Information Utility from Pega Marketplace.
- Import this file into your Pega application. In the header of Dev Studio, click .
- Choose the PrivilegeInformation.zipfile.
- Click Next to import the utility.
Note: This utility contains 9 rule instances in the Pega-LP-Reports_Branch_PrivilegeInfo ruleset.
- After the import is complete, add the PrivilegeInfo
branch into your application on the Definition tab, in
the Development branches section, so the rules will be
2. Running the Privilege Information Utility
To run the Privilege Information Utility, follow the steps below:
- In the side pane of Dev Studio, click Records > Technical > Activity.
- Open the activity pxPrivilegeInformation in the
Applies To class
- From the Actions menu, click Run.
Note: The Run Activity form will display.
- Click Run to produce the access group & roles report.
- RESULT: The report will be generated.
- Depending upon your browser, the Excel spreadsheet will either open (Mozilla Firefox) or download in the corner for you to click on to open (Google Chrome).
- The file is safe – you may open the file. However, a warning message
“The file format and extension of ‘PrivilegeInformation.xls’ don’t match. The file could be corrupted or unsafe. Unless you trust its source, don’t open it. Do you want to open it anyway?”
Creating a pivot table in Excel
After the report is exported to Excel, a spreadsheet will display, which includes the following data for each privilege:
- Access group
- Privileges Class
- Name of Privilege
As there are many privileges in Pega applications, there will be many lines in this spreadsheet. To make this data easier to read, Pega recommends that you create a pivot table.
- From the Insert menu in Excel, choose PivotTable.
- In the Create PivotTable window, click Select a
table or range, and highlight all the data in the
- Click OK.
Note: The PivotTable creation structure will display.
At this point, you can rearrange the information as needed.
One suggestion for using this utility is to drag the Access Group and the Role Name into the Rows area, so the table displays the roles used by each Access Group.
Previous topic Adding new privileges to roles after an upgrade Next topic Servlet and Filter management