Links may not function; however, this content may be relevant to outdated versions of the product.
Configuring production-level-specific run-time settings by using application settings rules
Application settings rules define run-time settings that can differ based on a system's production level, and which are resolved at run time through rule resolution. Application settings are identified by name and owning ruleset. The owning ruleset functions as a namespace and does not have to equal the ruleset that contains the rule.
If you define a setting by production level, you can define separate values for the setting in development and production, and then move the setting rule from development to production without having to reset the rule value.
Override a predefined application setting by saving it into a different ruleset, with the same name and owning ruleset name. At run time, rule resolution determines which version of the setting takes effect.
Circumstance and time-qualified resolution features are not available for application settings rules.
Your application can query instances of the application settings class using the Java
get method in the PublicAPI PRSystemSettings
interface. For more information, see Java methods for dynamic system settings and application settings.
The rule and data instances listed below have similar names, but they are not related.
- Application settings rules (Rule-Admin-System-Settings rule type) – Use application settings rules to hold important constant values in your application that are the same in every deployed copy of your application, that can differ by production level, and are rule-resolved.
- Dynamic system settings data instances (Data-Admin-System-Settings) – Use dynamic system settings when the values differ from site to site, such as with URLs, user names, or port numbers, and when they might be set programmatically.
- Setting rules (Rule-Access-Setting rule type) – Use setting rules in role-based access control when defining access roles and permissions.
- Creating an application setting
Create an application settings rule for all deployments of your system, customized by production level.
- Reference application settings in rules
The pzsettingsORA UI control is a reusable control that you can use to reference application settings in any rule in your application. The control defines how the application settings appear in your rules. For example, you can configure the control to display only categories or remove the option to create a new application setting.
- Categorizing application settings
Create categories to organize your application settings to make it easier for users to search for application settings and understand their purpose. For example, if you create a category called Integration, you can apply this category to application settings that relate to integrating with customer data.
- Defining production-level application setting values
Configure separate values for different production levels. At runtime, the system uses the application setting value that corresponds with the current production level.
Previous topic Configuring your system Next topic Creating an application setting