Use product rules to migrate or deliver an application to another Pega Platform systems. Product rules identify the rulesets and versions, rules and data objects, and other parts of an application. Define a product rule to specify what to include in the archive. Then use one of the other tools to create the product rule.
After you define the contents of a product rule, you can generate a .zip file that contains the following items:
- Rules in rulesets and versions for a specific application
- Rules in selected rulesets and versions
- Instances within any class
- A post-deployment action that displays Read Me information
Using a product rule is the best practice for packaging applications. You can do any of the following with a product rule:
- Export multiple applications
- Export dependent rulesets that are outside of your application
- Include sample data
- Specify whether to include history, snapshots and memos
The following tools work with product rules or .zip files:
- Application Packaging wizard creates a product rule that contains relevant data instances and rulesets.
- Exporting an application, product rule, or ruleset to an archive or repository by using the Export wizard creates a
.ziparchive from a product rule.
wizard landing page
- Purge/Archive wizard
removes resolved work items from your system and optionally
saves them in a
- Product Migration wizard
.ziparchive from a product or product patch rule, migrates the archive, and imports it to one or more destination systems.
- Package Work wizard creates a product rule that includes work items, work item history, and work item attachments.
- Deployment Manager
Use the Records Explorer to list all the product rules that are available to you.
Product rules are instances of the Rule-Admin-Product class. They belong to the SysAdmin category. Product rules are sometimes informally called RAP rules.
Product rules are rarely referenced by other rules. When searching for a Product rule, the system does the following:
- Filters candidate rules based on a requestor's ruleset list of rulesets and versions.
- Finds circumstance-qualified rules that override base rules with the same key.
Class-based inheritance does not apply. Time-qualified resolution features are not available for Product rules.
By default, the product rule contains instances of the following data classes, which are part of the application you are packaging:
- Product rules
Use the Application Packaging wizard to package an application in a product rule for export to a .zip file or migration to another server.
- Creating a product rule of test case data by using the Package Work wizard
To migrate small amounts of case data, use the Package Work wizard to create a product rule that contains case data generated when the application executes. This case data can include work items, assignments, history, bugs, documents, and attachments. After you create the product rule, you can transfer the application to multiple systems.
- Creating a product rule that includes associated data by using the Create menu
To include associated data in your product rule, use the Create menu to individually specify the contents of a product rule for an application or for work. When you use the Create menu, you can specify one or more applications, one or more rulesets, or individual rule instances to include in the product rule.
- Editing a product rule
Customize the product rule to specify contents, dependencies, deployment options, and history entries.
- Previewing and creating the archive file for a product rule
After you configure and save your product rule, preview the contents of the archive and generate the archive file.