You can use Query Inspector to generate an EXPLAIN PLAN to
help tune a SELECT SQL query for your internal Pega Platform databases on Pega Cloud.
is the internal sequence of steps that the SQL query uses to
tune the SQL query, which is useful for improving query efficiency. Use the Query Inspector to
enter or paste an SQL query and generate an EXPLAIN PLAN
Inspector is intended only to access specific rows and not a lot of data (that is, it is
intended only for very directed queries) and it limits results to 500 lines. For bulk data
export, use the Pega Report or Business Intelligence Exchange (BIX).
Before you begin: You need the PegaRULES:DatabaseAdministrator
role to access the Query Inspector. For more information, see Section form - Completing the Design tab.Note: Pega Cloud Services provides Query Runner, Query
Inspector, and Schema Tools in Pega Platform for clients to manage their database. These
database tools are not available to on-premises clients.
output organizes actions taken by the SELECT
order of execution sequence. An explain plan outputs the following:
- The operation taken.
- The name of the table on which the SELECT statement performed the
- The number of rows on which the SELECT statement performed the
- The cost (CPU usage) of the SELECT statement execution.
- The length of the rows upon which the SELECT statement executed
The types of operations for SELECT statements include the
- FULL Table scans that read the entire table.
- JOIN methods that explains the sequence of tables joined together.
- Nested loops that assesses rows in a table more efficiently based on the assessment of
a previous table.
- INDEX SCAN and SEQUENCE SCANS that pull from multiple values within a table.
- In the header of Dev Studio, click .
- Select the database from the Choose your database list.
- Enter or paste an SQL query into the Enter or paste statement to evaluate
- Click Generate explain plan.