Creating an application setting
Create an application settings rule for all deployments of your system, customized by production level.
For example, you can define a time-out interval that is consistent for all production deployments and another time-out interval that is consistent for all test deployments.
- In the header of Dev Studio, click .
- On the Create form, enter values in the fields to define the context of the application
- In the Label field, enter text that describes the purpose of the setting. The label that you enter is used as the default name for the setting, with spaces and special characters removed. This default name can be overridden as described below.
- Optional: To change the default name for the application setting, click Edit, and then provide a unique value in the Identifier field. The name must start with a letter and use only numbers and letters, without spaces.
- In the Owning Ruleset field, enter the name of your application as the domain for the application setting. Despite the field label, this value does not have to equal a ruleset name; it functions as a namespace.
- If you are using branches, in the Context section, in the
Development branch field, select the branch in which you want
to introduce the application setting.For more information, see Branches and branch rulesets.
- In the Add to ruleset field, select the ruleset of the production application that stores the application setting.
- Click Create and open to open the application settings form.
- Optional: In the Category field, press the Down arrow key, and then select
a category from the list.
For more information, see Categorizing application settings. Note: If you do not specify a category, the application setting does not display in the Application settings landing page in App Studio.
- In the Value type field, select a value type from the list. The value type you select defines how the application setting is rendered in the Application settings landing page in App Studio. For example, if you choose Boolean, the application setting displays as a Boolean value.
- Define application settings values by production level. For more information, see Defining values for an application setting.
- Optional: On the Display tab, perform one of the following actions:
- Select the Hide the setting in landing page check box to hide the application setting from the Application settings landing page in App Studio. If you leave this check box unselected, the application setting renders in the landing page when you save the rule.
- By default, every application setting uses the pzSettingDefaultViewInLP section to render the application setting in the landing page in App Studio. In the View for landing page field, press the Down arrow key to override the default section and select a new section.
- Click Save.
Previous topic Configuring production-level run-time settings Next topic Defining values for an application setting