Use product rules to migrate or deliver an application to another Pega Platform systems. Product rules identify the rulesets and versions, rules and data objects, and other parts of an application. Define a product rule to specify what to include in the archive. Then use one of the other tools to create the product rule.
After you define the contents of a product rule, you can generate a .zip file that contains the following items:
- Rules in rulesets and versions for a specific application
- Rules in selected rulesets and versions
- Instances within any class
- A post-deployment action that displays Read Me information
Using a product rule is the best practice for packaging applications. You can do any of the following with a product rule:
- Export multiple applications
- Export dependent rulesets that are outside of your application
- Include sample data
- Specify whether to include history, snapshots and memos
The following tools work with product rules or .zip files:
- Application Packaging wizard – Creates a product rule that contains relevant data instances and rulesets.
- Export wizard –
.ziparchive from a product rule.
- Import wizard – Imports a
- Product Migration
wizard – Creates a
.ziparchive from a product or product patch rule, migrates the archive, and imports it to one or more destination systems.
- Package Work wizard – Creates a product rule that includes work items, work item history, and work item attachments.
- Deployment Manager
- About product rules
Use the Application Packaging wizard to package an application in a product rule for export to a .zip file or migration to another server.
- Creating a product rule that does not include associated data by using the Application Packaging wizard
If your archive does not include associated data, use the Application Packaging wizard to identify data-admin instances associated with your application and create a product rule to define your application. This is most common for customers who have upgraded from PRPC 6 or earlier.
- Creating a product rule of test case data by using the Package Work wizard
To migrate small amounts of case data, use the Package Work wizard to create a product rule that contains case data generated when the application executes. This case data can include work items, assignments, history, bugs, documents, and attachments. After you create the product rule, you can transfer the application to multiple systems.
- Creating a product rule that includes associated data by using the Create menu
To include associated data in your product rule, use the Create menu to individually specify the contents of a product rule for an application or for work. When you use the Create menu, you can specify one or more applications, one or more rulesets, or individual rule instances to include in the product rule.
- Editing a product rule
Customize the product rule to specify contents, dependencies, deployment options, and history entries.
- Previewing and creating the archive file for a product rule
After you configure and save your product rule, preview the contents of the archive and generate the archive file.