The Personal Edition version of Pega Platform™ provides a fully functional version of Pega Platform that you can install on your workstation to learn how to build and test applications. The rules and applications that you develop with the Personal Edition can be saved and later moved to a full version of Pega Platform. To request the Personal Edition, see My Pega.
The Personal Edition installation package includes these components:
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Apache Tomcat
- Pega Platform Personal Edition
Before installing the Personal Edition, confirm that your workstation meets the following prerequisites:
- Intel-based personal computer or laptop with at least 4 GB of free RAM running a supported 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows. For information about supported versions, see the Platform Support Guide.
- 20 GB of free disk space for the following components:
- 5 GB for the downloaded files, which you can delete after installation
- 5 GB to extract the .zip files, which you can delete after installation
- 8 GB for the installed files, which may increase over time as you use the system
- A supported browser version:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or later
- Mozilla Firefox 5 or later
- Google Chrome 9 or later
Installing the Personal Edition
- Download the PRPC_PE_win64.zip file from your installation package.
Extract the contents to a directory on your computer.This directory name cannot contain spaces.
- In that directory, double-click the file. The system opens a command window, and then starts the installation wizard. If the file fails to run, confirm that there are no spaces in the directory path.
- On the Personal Edition Installation page, click Next.
- Review the information on the Overview and Prerequisites page to ensure that the Personal Edition installation was successful.
- Click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, review the software license for the Personal Edition and its third-party products.
- Click Next. On the Components to be installed page, the required components are preselected. If you do not want to automatically start the Pega Platform after installation, clear the Launch PRPC check box.
- Click Next.
On the Directories Selection page, browse to the directory where you want to install the Personal Edition. Otherwise, the installation creates the PRPCPersonalEdition directory on your C: drive.The directory that you select must have at least 5 GB of free disk space and must allow a nonadministrative user to create instances in that directory.
- Click Next. The Port Configuration page displays the default port assignment that the Personal Edition uses for the database and Tomcat server.
Click Port Availability to verify that the default ports are available. If there are conflicts, enter a different port number and repeat this step.If you are installing on Windows 10, ensure that the Windows firewall includes exceptions for the ports you select.
- Click Next.
Click Start to start the installation. The Output and Error tabs display the progress of the installation.
If the system prompts you to allow traffic for PostgreSQL and Tomcat, click OK.
- When the confirmation message is displayed, click OK.
- Click Exit to close the installation window.
Log in to the Pega Platform instance:
- If you accepted the default Launch PRPC selection, you can log in by using the browser window that is open after you close the installation window.
- If you did not select the default, see the Using shortcuts to start, log in to, and shut down the Personal Edition section of this article for instructions.
- If you see a 404 error, use the desktop shortcuts to stop and restart the Personal Edition:
- On the desktop, click Shutdown.
- Click Startup.
Using shortcuts to start, log in to, and shut down the Personal Edition
You can shut down and start the Personal Edition as you work through your testing and configuration. Shutting down frees up disk space when you are not actively using the Personal Edition.
For these actions, use the following shortcuts that were added to your desktop during the installation.
- Startup starts the Personal Edition.
- Login opens the Personal Edition login screen.
- Shutdown shuts down the Personal Edition.
Starting and logging in to the Personal Edition
Follow these steps to start the Personal Edition and log in.
- Click Startup to start the Personal Edition. The startup process is logged in a command prompt window.
- When the server has started and displays the following message, click the Login shortcut to display the sign-on screen.
INFO: Server Startup in <nnnnnn> msYou can minimize the Tomcat server window, but it must remain open while you work in the Personal Edition.
- Enter an operator ID and password.
- Click Log In.
Shutting down the Personal Edition
Click the Shutdown shortcut to shut down the Personal Edition after you log out of the Personal Edition. This action also closes the Tomcat server window.
Uninstalling the Personal Edition
When you have finished using the Personal Edition, you can remove it from your workstation. Before you uninstall the Personal Edition, you can package and save your work in a separate file to import your work into another application.
- Use the Application Packaging wizard to save your work, including work objects and data. Click export.zip file to a safe location. For details about how to use the wizard, see Migrating Applications with the Application Packaging Wizard. to start the wizard and save the
- Optional: Back up your database.
- Close the Tomcat server and logging windows.
- Remove the Personal Edition:
- Delete the PRPCPersonalEdition program directory that was created during the installation.
- Delete the three Personal Edition shortcuts on your desktop.