Harness and Section forms: Help - Client Event Editor
Use the Client Event Editor to identify a non-auto-generated control that, when a user interface event is performed on it, dynamically submits elements within a work item or flow action form and re-renders the display.
To access the Client Event Editor, select the Gear icon next to the Behavior field in the Cell Properties panel for the control. For client events configured before PRPC Version 6.3, the Behavior field is displayed for both auto-generated controls and controls that are not auto-generated.
To configure dynamic behavior for an auto-generated control, select the Gear icon next to the Control field in the Cell Properties panel for the control. Configure behaviors using the Control Parameters (Behavior) dialog. For more information, see Control form - Completing the Control tab.
Choosing the Event
Consider the control that is to be used to present the controlling property. This rule may be identified in the Control field of the Cell Properties panel.
Select a value for the Event field based on the runtime presentation of the property:
- Select this setting to associate an event with a property presented as a Text Input, Text Area, or Select List. The event occurs when the application user changes the contents of the input field. This event is most useful for selection lists because the action can occur immediately.
- Select this setting to associate an event with a property presented as a Text Input, Text Area, or Select List. This event occurs when the input field on the form loses focus; for example, when an application user presses the Tab key or clicks in another input field. This event is best for inputs such as text input or text area.
- Select this setting to associate an event with an action control such as Link, Icon, or Button, or with a property presented as a check box or set of radio buttons.
Choosing the Action
Select a value for the Action field:
- Refresh This Section
- When the event is performed on the
property, the system submits the elements to the server in a single section.
uses AJAX technology to communicate between the browser client
and the server. The section is then redrawn dynamically, based on the value of this
controlling property. The updated form may contain different values supplied by an
activity or a data transform.
For greater design flexibility, such as the ability to refresh sections anywhere on a form, you can use:
- A Refresh When condition on an included section.
- A Refresh Section action in a control such as pxButton, pxLink, or pxIcon. For more information, see Control form - Completing the Control tab.
- Post Value - This setting posts the property value to the clipboard and refreshes the cell's contents. This action is triggered by OnChange or OnBlur of the field and prior to any other event (such as a click action) initiated from a control, or from the calculation of expressions. For example: a pxButton control refreshes another section using an activity that requires three updated properties before the control can update the target section. When the user clicks the button, the properties are posted to the clipboard and are synchronized with the activity. In most cases, the properties are already on the clipboard when the button is clicked.
Activity and Transform Data fields
If you set the Action field to Refresh This Section, the Activity and Data Transform fields are displayed. You can use either option or both. If you use both options together, the data transform is processed first. To find the activity or data transform at run time, rule resolution uses the rule's Applies To class. Where possible, use a data transform rather than an activity to effect the refresh process.
- Data Transform
- Optional. Enter the Name key part of a data transform that might affect the content of the section to be redrawn. Click Params to display the parameters specified on the Parameters tab of the Data Transform form. Enter the values that you want to pass to this data transform. For more information see About Data Transforms.
- Optional. Enter the Activity Name of an activity that performs only computations and does not send HTML or XML code to the workstation. Click Params to display the parameters listed on the Parameters tab of the Activity rule form. Enter the values you want to pass to this activity.
Click Save to exit the Client Event Editor.
Previous topic Configuring display options for a harness Next topic Harness form - Presenting flow actions