- Verify that you have already run the required Pega Customer Service Upgrade Checker and the optional the Sales Automation Upgrade Checker. The upgrade checkers identify rule conflicts between the current version and the new version of the application.
- When updating from a version that is not the previous version, review the update guides
and release notes for each of the interim versions. For example, if updating from release
8.5 to release 8.7, review the 8.6 update guide, 8.6
release notes, and this guide.Some product changes, such as deprecated and withdrawn features, require user action before the update. See the Pega Customer Service documentation for legacy update guides and release notes. To review a list of the product changes that have update impacts, see Crucial update information for Pega Customer Relationship Management.
- If using a Pega Customer Service application, update legacy portals if necessary. For information, see Updating legacy Pega Customer Service portals.
- Before starting an update, and before
backing up your system, review the database policies and application permissions that
are used by your Pega Platform
whether the application is permitted to update the database automatically or if you must
generate the database scripts that your organization will use to manually make schema
To automatically update the application schema, your access group must have the SchemaImport privilege and the dynamic system setting database/AutoDBSchemaChanges must be set to true. Otherwise, you can create a DDL file to apply the schema changes manually.
During the application update process, the import tool will have an option to automatically apply database schema updates or extract the database scripts to provide to the database administrators. If the schema updates are executed manually, the jar file installation is paused until the schema updates are applied.
- Update to the latest version of Pega Platform 8.7, and ensure that you can log in as an administrator. For more information, see the Pega Platform Update Guide for your environment on the Stay Current with Pega page.
- Determine which language packs are applicable to your product and check for
availability. For information, see Pega Marketplace.
Update to and verify Pega Foundation for Healthcare 8.7. For additional information, see the Pega Foundation for Healthcare Update Guide.
- Apply any hotfixes that are required to support the Pega Foundation for Healthcare
application. For more information, see Applying the latest on-premises patch.
Update to the Pega Customer Service 8.7 and Pega Sales Automation 8.7 base applications.
There is a single procedure to update both of those applications. Follow all of the instructions, including prerequisites, in the Pega CRM 8.7 Update Guide.
- If the distribution media files for Pega Customer Service and Pega Sales Automation include patch releases, import the patch release files before continuing with the update.
- Optional: Because SQL database triggers are no longer supported, before you update the application, have your database administrator check for and drop triggers.
- Required if you are installing Pega CRM for Healthcare 8.7 on DB2: Run the
following ALTER statements in your DB2 database. Replace <rule_schema> with your
corresponding schema name where Pega has been installed: During the jar import, the DB2 database treats some of the characters present in the rule Labels (column: pyLabel) of identified auto-generated paragraph rules as multi-byte characters. Due to this issue, the size of the label content exceeds the actual column size (64 bytes) in the following tables:
- ALTER TABLE <rule_schema>.PR4_RULE ALTER COLUMN PYLABEL SET DATA TYPE VARCHAR(255);
- ALTER TABLE <rule_schema>.PR4_RULE_VW ALTER COLUMN PYLABEL SET DATA TYPE VARCHAR(255);
- ALTER TABLE <rule_schema>.PR_INDEX_REFERENCE ALTER COLUMN PXREFERENCINGDESCRIPTION SET DATA TYPE VARCHAR (255);
Pega CRM for Healthcare Update Guide