Government customer requirements for mobile applications include operation in conditions where mobile devices move in and out of areas with no cellular or wireless reception.
In PGP, the following core components have been enabled for mobile offline operation.
- Capture interview
- Conduct assessment (simple survey questions only)
- Activity plan task
Mobile applications built with these components will automatically store data when offline conditions are encountered and synchronize the stored data with server when offline condition is resolved.
More PGP components are enabled for offline operation in future releases.
Customers who wish to use the offline capabilities in PGP implementations must follow three steps.
- Enable Offline support in the Mobile Channel Settings.
- Create and populate an Offline Configuration rule.
- Develop mobile application case types in App Studio using one or more of the PGP Mobile Offline enabled components.
- Enabling offline support
- Enable offline support to advance cases even if the users' devices are not connected with the server.
- Navigate to the mobile channel definition for your application.
- Click the Configuration tab, and then click the Offline category.
- Select the Enable offline support check box.
- Click the Add case type link and select the application case types enabled for use in the offline mode.
- Click Submit, and then click Save.
For more information, see Setting up mobile apps.
- Creating an offline configuration rule
- Manage data synchronization as a device transitions between online and
offline modes and identify data elements for Pega to explicitly manage. The
Offline Configuration rule (Rule-Config-Offline) allows a developer to list
application data elements that are managed offline.
To create or edit an Offline Configuration rule, navigate to Configure > Mobile > Offline Configuration.
In Pega, you can manage the following data resources offline.
- Data Pages
- Field Values
- Data Transforms
- Validate rules
- When rules
- Decision rules
- Decision Tree rules
For an example of an Offline Configuration rule, review the one provided for ICM: PGPICM.
For more information, see Working with offline-enabled mobile apps.
- Develop offline case types
- Customers can design and develop Pega Mobile Offline case types following the guidance provided by the Pega Community.