Configuring master-detail settings
Show extra information about the contents of each row by configuring the master-detail settings in your table. By enabling users to access data in a row, you help them avoid losing the current context.
The master-detail settings help you enable users to view or edit the details of a master object (a table row). Users can navigate between the master objects and make changes to details without leaving the page. For example, in a table that contains a list of employees, users can display and update additional employee details after clicking a row.
- The master-detail option is available only for non-optimized tables.
- The UI Gallery landing page contains a working example of the table layout components, which you can use for reference or copy directly to your application. For more information, see Accessing the UI Gallery.
- In the navigation pane of Dev Studio, click Records.
- Expand the User Interface category, and then click Section.
- In the section list, select the section that contains the target layout.
- In the Table header, click the View properties icon.
- In the Properties window, select the Operations tab.
- In the Row operations section, select the Master-detail checkbox.
- In the Display of details list, select a way to display
row details when a user clicks a row:
- To display details in a modal window that is displayed on top of the table, select Modal dialog. The edits are applied when the user closes the modal window.
- To display details in an expandable detail area that is displayed below the selected row, select Expandable rows. The edits are applied when the user saves the changes or selects another row.
- To display details in a detail area below the table or in a designated section, select Embedded elsewhere. The edits are applied when the user saves the changes or selects another row.
- In the Detail flow action field, specify the flow action
that provides the form for the selected display type that appears when the user
clicks a row.
Note: A flow action is a section that contains the form fields for the user to complete when they interact with the details data.
- Optional: To personalize the display of details, choose additional personalization
Choices Actions Select a new format for the Modal dialog display type
- In the Modal format list, select Other.
- In the new field, press the Down arrow key and select the
format that you want to use
Note: The field shows custom formats that are defined in the skin. Skip showing users the expand/collapse icon at each row level for the Expandable rows display type Clear the Display an expand/collapse icon per row checkbox. Change the default place for showing the details for the Embedded elsewhere display type
- In the Details location setting, click In place of a section.
- In the new field, specify the section in which you want the
details to appear.
For example: If you want the detail area to appear to the right of the table, create the gridResults section with a two-column layout. Embed the table in the first column, and then add an empty section in the second column. Specify the name of the empty section in the field.
- Optional: To override the default template for the row details, select the
Override default template checkbox, and then, in the
Template name field, specify the new template
Note: By default, the templates are the following standard rules:
- .pyGridModalTemplate (for the Modal dialog display type)
- .pyGridRowDetails (for the Expandable rows display type)
- .pyGridDetails (for the Embedded elsewhere display type)
- Optional: To allow the user to view the flow action with details in the read-only mode,
select the Display details read-only checkbox.
Note: If you select this option if the flow action with details contains an editable table, you prevent users from editing the table.
- Click Submit.
- On the section form, click Save.
Previous topic Modifying presentation options of the non-optimized table layout Next topic Creating a hierarchical table layout